I’ve had it up to here with Facebook, and their constant distancing from issues of privacy and the concerns of their users. The benefits of being able to connect and get information about my social network no longer outweigh the costs of FB using and abusing my social graph.
So I’ve decided to leave Facebook. It’s not going to be easy. Facebook make sure that deleting your account is somewhat akin to leaving a cult with lots of ‘but we’ll miss you and we love you and come back to us’ style of wailing and gnashing of teeth.
But I’m committed. I’m climbing the wall around the Facebook compound and making a break for freedom. Start humming “The Great Escape” theme, guys, because I want you to come with me
I want to declare May 21st Leave Facebook Day. On that day, let’s all leave Facebook. Let’s hit that radio button that says “I’m leaving because of privacy issues” and let Facebook know that we won’t be folded, spindled or mutilated, that we are human beings, not social data to be sold. Let’s all climb the wall together.
Tell your friends. Use the #LeaveFBday hash tag on twitter. Blog about it. Heck, update your Facebook status.
Let’s just get out while we still can.
Updates from twitter, comments and email (feel free to send me stuff!)
UPDATE #1: twitter user @thesixthbaron notes that, even after requesting a complete account deletion, Facebook still holds your data ‘in case of reactivation.’
UPDATE #2: from the #LeaveFBday twitter stream and comments-
*Goodbye Facebook has joined Leave FB Day and is also exploring tools for migration and FB deletion. If you have ideas, head over there and make some suggestions.
* the (de)evolution of privacy on FB: a great infomatic which shows how far out from the self your info now travels.
* Boing Boing has a piece on FB and privacy
* I didn’t start this Facebook group, but hey, GMTA! :)
* For those seeking an alternative to FB, maybe The Diaspora Project might meet your needs.
* Find out what is viewable by anyone by exploring the 'What Does FB Publish?' tool.
* Adventures in IT: Facebook needs to face the music.
* Business Insider: 10 Reasons To Delete Your Facebook Account.
Seppukoo - virtual suicide (currently limited in functionality due to FB legal challenge)
* Nancy Baym on Leaving or Not Leaving Facebook